If your family, or a family you know, is in need of decent affordable housing, please contact us: 989-753-5200 x. 500
Saginaw-Shiawassee Habitat for Humanity offers a homeownership opportunity to families unable to obtain conventional house financing – generally those whose income is 30 to 80 percent of the area’s median income.
Families are selected based on:
- Level of need
- Willingness to perform ‘sweat equity hours’
- Ability to pay the zero-interest or low-interest loan
In most cases, prospective Saginaw-Shiawassee Habitat for Humanity families contribute 250 to 400 hours of ‘sweat equity’ on the construction or rehabilitation of their home. Mortgage payments are kept affordable because much of the work is completed with volunteer labor.
What is sweat equity?
Sweat equity is an exciting cornerstone to the Habitat ministry designed to meet three important goals:
- Partnership – Sweat equity provides meaningful interaction between partner families, affiliate representatives and Habitat volunteers
- Pride in homeownership – Investing in sweat equity hours in their own homes helps families in the construction or rehabilitation phase begin the transition to homeownership.
- Development of skills and knowledge – On the building site, partner family members gain a real understanding of the construction or rehabilitation of their home and of the maintenance issues they will face in occupancy.
Saginaw-Shiawassee Habitat for Humanity follows a non-discriminatory policy of family selection.
Applicants for a Habitat home must satisfy certain requirements in order to qualify for a Habitat home. One of the requirements is that the applicant meets income and credit requirements. These limits are used to qualify families using the median income for that county. The current limits can be found by clicking here. If you are ready to apply, please fill out the application.
How to Apply for a Habitat for Humanity House
- If your family, or a family you know, is in need of decent, affordable housing, please contact Saginaw-Shiawassee Habitat for Humanity at (989) 753-5200 ext. 500 or call the Habitat for Humanity affiliate closest to you. Their contact information may be found at http://www.habitatmichigan.org/affiliate.
- The Habitat affiliate will explain the application process and provide information on the availability, size and cost of Habitat homes in your area. Habitat affiliates will select “partner families” to become Habitat homeowners. Partner families are always selected based on 3 things:
- Their level of need.
- Their willingness to become partners in the program and perform “sweat equity hours.”
- Their ability to repay the zero-interest (if buying a house in the City of Saginaw) or low-interest loan (if purchasing a home in a rural area of Saginaw or Shiawassee County).
Saginaw-Shiawassee Habitat for Humanity follows a nondiscriminatory policy of family selection. Neither race nor religion is a factor in choosing partner families.